Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The broad market took small-cap stocks on a wild ride Thursday, but among the solid winners was WSI Industries (WSCI).
The Monticello, Minn., metal-machining company soared 22.2% to $5.74 after bumping up its fiscal third-quarter profit by 2 cents a share from last year to 8 cents, or $229,000, while revenue surged 24.3% to $5.2 million.
Lindsay (LNN), an irrigation-systems maker, also issued positive earnings for the May quarter. The Omaha, Neb., company earned 62 cents a share, up 12.7% from last year, on 24.2% higher operating revenue at $93.1 million. Shares jumped 12.9%, or $5.08, to $44.33.
California's Advanced Cell Technology (ACTC) had a quick rise after announcing it successfully produced a human embryonic stem cell without destroying an embryo in the process. CEO William Caldwell said this development addresses the concerns of President Bush who, on Wednesday, again vetoed a bill to allow for federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research. ACT shares were up 9.9% to 73 cents in heavy trading.Intevac (IVAC), of Santa Clara, Calif., and Atlanta's Manhattan Associates (MANH) both supported the Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600 indices, respectively up 0.2% and 0.1% lately, after getting a communal lift on positive analyst research. Intevac, which makes disk-sputtering equipment for hard-disk drives, gained 2.5% to $20.05 after American Technology Research stamped on a buy rating. Analyst Bill Ong cited Intevac's development of a new plasma etch tool for the semiconductor industry, which he says could allow it to diversify away from the "ultra-competitive" hard-disk-drive market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV