Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
A new CEO and mention of a stock offering lifted two health companies Wednesday while others were scathed by negative news.
Medical device company DexCom (DXCM) climbed 45 cents, or 6.5%, to $7.30 Wednesday after it announced that Terrance Gregg, chief executive at the Canadian biotechnology company Vasogen (VSGN) and former vice president of Medtronic, will take over as president and chief executive in place of Andy Rasdal, who's stepping down. Gregg will remain chairman of Vasogen's board, and CEO Rasdal who will remain a board member and advisor during the transitio
Vasogen, which was down 17 cents, or 6.3%, to $2.53, named former COO and CFO Chris Waddick president and chief executive.
On the other end of the spectrum from Vasogen, Protalix BioTherapeutics (PLX) rocketed 31% after announcing that its board of directors authorized it to prepare a registration statement for the Securities and Exchange Commission for a common stock offering during the second half of 2007. The company gave no hints to the offering's size or price, but its stock price leapt $6.54 to $27.13 regardless.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV