Inverness Diagnosed as New Buy
This Action Alerts PLUS alert was originally sent to subscribers on June 19 at 10:53 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
Even though I've added several new stocks to the portfolio in the last month, I still have plenty of new ideas that I've been watching for a while. One of those, Inverness Medical Innovations (IMA), has pulled back recently after a nice run -- it's trading around $49.28 as I write this -- and I want to use this opportunity to initiate a position.
After you read this Alert, I'll make my first purchase in the name by picking up 1,000 shares. As always, I will look to add to my position as the opportunity to improve my cost basis comes up. My goal is grow Inverness to 4%-5% of the portfolio.
Inverness is a health care diagnostics company, both professional and in-home, as well as a manufacturer of vitamins and nutritional supplements. The vitamins business provides the company with a stable revenue stream.But what excites me are the incredible opportunities for Inverness in the diagnostics field. The company has recently agreed to acquire two companies -- Biosite (BSTE) and Cholestech (CTEC) -- that will drastically improve the company's product portfolio and distribution capabilities, specifically in the fast-growing cardiology diagnostic market. The deals also offer incredible financial synergies from both a cost-cutting and revenue perspective. The Biosite transaction alone could prove to add more than 50 cents to 2008 earnings. Cholestech should add 5 cents to 10 cents to 2008 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV