Five Steps to Save on Electronics
One area where you can spend a lot of money is buying electronic gadgets. But you don't always have to spend a fortune to have the latest technology.
If you prepare and follow a plan, you can satisfy your appetite for electronics, such as digital cameras, MP3 players and video game consoles, and not break the bank in the process.
Here are some tips that you may want to use and then adjust according to your particular needs:
1. Give Yourself TimeIf you have to purchase something in a rush, you are going to end up spending more and have a higher likelihood of getting something that doesn't meet all your needs. To get a good deal, you're going to have to do a bit of research and comparison shopping. This is time-intensive, but if you don't do the proper research, you'll likely pay more in the end. In addition to leaving time to research your purchase, time will also give you the opportunity to step back and ask yourself if you truly need the gadget. Impulse purchases not only cost more money, but are often made for gadgets that don't meet the buyer's needs. According to Martha Stewart, 80% of all the stuff in your house is never used, and you want to make sure that the gadget you're about to purchase won't join the ranks of the unused. 2. Read Product Reviews Take the time to read reviews on whatever you are looking to buy. Reading reviews from major tech and consumer research sites is a good place to start. Many are free online, but some of the best, such as Consumer Reports, require a subscription. If you have a library card, you may be able to gain access to their reports from your computer. Many libraries have online databases you can access from your home with your library card that carry back issues of these magazines. Contact your local library to see if this is available for you. 3. Consult Friends and Family Take the time to check with friends and co-workers who may have knowledge with the gadget you're looking to purchase. This will allow you to see what their likes and dislikes are and possibly use it firsthand. Someone who already uses the gadget will be able to give you insight into what is good and what possibly could be a problem with the gadget you are considering purchasing. This can be quite helpful when making a decision about what to purchase and will help ensure that you buy a product that has the functions that you need. For example, if you need a camera to use for landscape photography, you would want different features than if you needed one to take close-up photos of items to place on auction sites.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV