Yahoo! Targets Ad Riches
Yahoo! (YHOO) may yet have a card up its sleeve.
With its stock languishing below $35 for nearly 18 months now, the Internet giant is in the best position to capitalize on a rapidly growing trend in advertising called behavioral targeting.
Behaviorally targeted ads, which are "displayed to a selective audience whose interests or intentions are revealed by Web site tracking data," according to research firm eMarketer, accounted for $350 million in ad spending during 2006.
But that number is expected to grow almost 11-fold to $3.8 billion by 2011."Targeted advertising in display is the exploding market, compared with search-based advertising," Microsoft (MSFT) chief advertising strategist Yusuf Mehdi told a conference of investors in May. But Yahoo! -- and not Microsoft -- has what it takes to dominate this field. Yahoo! runs the most visited network of Web sites in the world and is in a solid second place when it comes to search. That gives it plenty of expensive space in which to place ads on -- and lots of data about user behavior to better target those ads. It may also give the company a way out of a developing conundrum that contributed to the stock getting crushed after it reported
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV