How to Pitch Your Plan Overseas
Often when business owners venture abroad, it is with the hope of expanding their product lines or services overseas. They go prepared to sell an idea to a potential new customer base or to make their business an international brand.
So it's crucial for entrepreneurs to understand that the presentations they make in different countries should be specific to their intended audience. Above all, business owners should strive to relay a focused message and make their points memorable to clients.
Here then are four travel tips to keep in mind for the next time you're meeting with an international clientele.
1. Be Prepared for Technology Challenges
If you're planning on giving a presentation abroad, realize that the country to which you travel might not be equipped with the necessary technology to accommodate PowerPoint or projector-based presentations.Therefore, try to come up with new ways to display your information that don't rely solely on your slides. However, if you do decide to use PowerPoint -- or want to hand out printed copies of slides for your audience to look at while you speak -- make sure each slide is clear. Keep it concise and avoid information overload.
2. Watch Your TongueEven though English is an international business language, words are not always used similarly in every location. And it's likely you'll fail to connect with your foreign audience if you decide to use too much jargon or slang language. Try to keep your vocabulary simple and straightforward, and avoid expressions that might confuse your listeners. In addition, don't leave your audience perplexed by talking too quickly or not enunciating. Remember to speak clearly and slowly. It's also important to recognize that humor is not the same in all parts of the world. While it may be appropriate to joke about certain subjects in one country, those same jokes may not be received as well by a different group of people. To view Alix Steel's video take of today's segment, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV