Intel Propels Chip Stocks
A slew of chip stocks stretched to new 52-week highs Friday, after an analyst boosted his rating on Intel (INTC) and predicted that the PC microprocessor market is set to undergo a significant transformation.
Goldman Sachs analyst James Covello upgraded Intel from neutral to buy on Friday, slapping a $28 price target on the stock.
According to Covello, microprocessor rival Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is planning to outsource most, if not all, of its chip manufacturing next year.
The move, wrote Covello, would benefit Intel more than AMD, because the transition to using contract manufacturers could cause AMD to lose its technological edge.What's more, AMD's switch to a fabless model would fundamentally change the dynamics of the microprocessor market, Covello said. "We believe that being the only dedicated capital spender in the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV