Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:41 p.m. EDT
Financial stocks were red-hot Friday, propelled by the soaring broad market and sector-specific good news.
Nymex (NMX) was one of the biggest winners, jumping 8% earlier in the day after Bloomberg reported that it's exploring a possible sale to another exchange that could fetch $155 a share, or $14.3 billion. The commodities exchange is in talks with NYSE Euronext (NYX), Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and Deutsche Boerse, according to two people involved.
But the stock's gain was tempered after a former Nymex board member said he was unaware of any merger discussions. Nymex closed up 1.7% at $142.12. NYSE closed down 1% while CME gained that same amount.Also climbing on M&A news were the Bank of New York (BK) and Mellon Financial (MEL), whose December stock-swap merger proposal was cleared by both the Federal Reserve and the Justice Department. The banks said they expect to close the deal on or about July 1. Shares of the banks closed up 1.2% and 1.3%, respectively. Mortgage lender Freddie Mac (FRE) was upgraded to outperform at Friedman Billings, pushing shares slightly up earlier in the day; they closed down 24 cents at $65. Wachovia raised Bear Stearns' (BSC) 2007 earnings estimate by a dime to $14.01, citing a record backlog and favorable broad-market trends. Shares traded actively and closed up 49 cents to $150.09 following somewhat wobbly trading. Credit-card company MasterCard (MA) gained 4.9% to $157.65 after detailing a previously announced plan for converting Class B shares into Class A shares on an accelerated basis. And Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services (LTS) was one of the sector's biggest percentage gainers Friday, surging 13.9% to $2.71 after announcing it has been preliminarily added to the Russell 3000 Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV