Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Elsewhere, Arizona's Syntax-Brillian (BRLC) took back most of Wednesday's losses after Robert W. Baird defused rumors that the company might stop selling its hi-def TVs to electronics retailer Circuit City (CC) by 2008. An analyst with CE Unterberg Towbin had made the suggestion, which yesterday sent Syntax shares plunging. Today, shares jumped 15.1% to $5.25. Circuit City shares were lately flat at $16.72.
And Rudolph Technologies (RTEC) was 6.8% higher to $17.11 after a "leading" disk-drive maker ordered six of its automated macro-defect inspection products. The stock buoyed both the Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600, which were respectively adding 0.7% and 0.8%.
But another Russell 2000 member, Jones Soda (JSDA), was among few small-cap laggards Thursday after the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported that coffee giant Starbucks (SBUX) will no longer distribute some of the natural-soda maker's products by the end of this month. Jones shares traded actively to lose 4.7%, or 74 cents, at $14.94. Starbucks was off 1.1% to $27.46.
Finally, Xenonics (XNN), which makes illumination products for military and other purposes, slid 6.8% on a downward restatement. The Carlsbad, Calif., company will widen its fiscal 2005 per-share loss by 2 cents to 35 cents, having reclassified certain litigation-settlement gains as a capital transaction rather than as income. Shares were trading at $2.62.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV