9 Things You Should Buy to Save You Money
The following is adapted from a Nov. 2, 2006 entry on savings columnist Jeffrey Strain's blog, SavingsAdvice.com.
When it comes to saving money, most people immediately think that they must reduce their spending in order to do it.
This isn't always the case. There are a number of items that can actually save you money by purchasing them. These items may cost you some money upfront, but they'll ultimately more than pay for themselves in the savings they provide.
Here is a list of things you should buy to help you save money:
1. Programmable ThermostatManual thermostats usually cost households more money than the programmable variety, because of how people use them. When someone wants to heat or cool a room, they usually adjust the thermostat temperature beyond the true temperature they desired in hopes of making the house cool or warm more quickly. Unfortunately, this doesn't affect the speed at which the room temperature changes and the over-compensation means that the room ultimately gets hotter or cooler than it needs to be -- which costs extra money. In addition to over-compensation of the desired temperature, manual thermostats also are adjusted more often to get the room to the desired temperature. People increase the temperature when the room gets a little cold, then decrease it when it gets too warm. These manual adjustments are rarely as effective, and can automatically be done more efficiently with a programmable model. The constant manual adjustments cost a great deal of money over time, which a programmable thermostat can help save; it pays for itself in a few months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV