Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:19 p.m. EDT
Gains from intercompany deals balanced out losses brought about by analyst predictions, and health stocks set off on a slightly good note Wednesday.
First, for those who browsed Yahoo! Finance this morning: No, Teva Pharmaceutical (TEVA) didn't burst 80% and Neurochem (NRMX) wasn't really trading at minus-$12. Although such action would've resulted in a much more dramatic Winners & Losers column, the glitch appears to be fixed now.
Oculus Innovative Sciences (OCLS) did trade actively after the medical-instruments company announced a 10-year licensing agreement with the Drug Enhancement Company of America for the rights to Oculus' first-response pen-like applicator for cuts, minor burns and skin irritations, Microcyn Technology. The agreement, which gives DECA an exclusive worldwide license on the technology, may also provide Oculus payments of up to $47.5 million, according to the company. After rising more than 9% earlier in the day, Oculus closed down 1.1%, or 8 cents, to $7.16.American Oriental Bioengineering (AOB) signed a letter of intent to acquire Changchun Xinan Pharmaceutical Group, a fellow China-based company. American Oriental Bioengineering has 90 days to enter a definitive agreement and close the transaction according to the letter of intent. It anticipates an all-cash deal not exceeding $30 million. American Oriental Bioengineering's shares rose 27 cents, or 2.9%, to $9.71. Elsewhere, LifeCell (LIFC) said Wednesday that it received 510(k), or premarket notification, clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for Strattice tissue matrix. The product is for soft tissue repair, including breast reconstruction and hernia repair. LifeCell gained $1.70, or 6% to $29.99. LifeCell is a component of the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index, which was up 9.59, or 1.2%, to 818.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV