FDA Launches Inquiry Into Telik Trial
The Food and Drug Administration has launched an inquiry to determine whether Telik (TELK) violated federal law by failing to disclose patient deaths in a recent ovarian cancer study, TheStreet.com has learned.
Women taking Telik's experimental drug Telcyta
But Telik's management knew since December 2006 -- five months before presenting the data at ASCO -- that Telcyta might be harming ovarian cancer patients instead of helping them. This information was never publicly disclosed.
Furthermore, Telik failed to share the data with the FDA, according to a senior official with the agency.Concerned for patient safety, the FDA ordered Telik last week to halt all ongoing clinical studies involving Telcyta. "It is unclear to us at this point whether regulations or laws may have been broken, but we're looking into the matter seriously," said the FDA official, who asked to remain unnamed. "Sophisticated companies would have reported data like this to us in a timely manner," the FDA official added. "The fact that we learned of this
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV