Options Trade Cost Steve Jobs $4 Billion
How much would Jobs have made if he had held on to those options?
His 10 million shares are now worth $1.2 billion. So he isn't hurting. (And he has made much more on stock in Pixar, which is now part of Disney (DIS).)
As for those canceled options?
Try $5.6 billion.Or ... $4.4 billion more than Jobs has made on the shares he took in exchange. Jobs was not alone. Around the same time, in March 2003, others at the company were allowed to make a similar exchange. Many employees were holding bubble-era options that also seemed worthless because their strike prices were so high. So in March 2003, Apple set up a one-time program to let them swap these options for a smaller number of options at a lower strike price. Bottom line: The exchange would benefit them so long as the share price stayed low. They would lose out only if it went to the moon. Oops. In total, the company canceled 20 million options (in today's terms). The move will have cost those employees, and saved shareholders, hundreds of millions of dollars. All of which should offer at least a smidgeon of consolation to those who missed out on Apple stock. Why? Because it shows that four years ago, not even Steve Jobs, or other folks at Apple, dreamed the shares could possibly come this far.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV