Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks hung onto the broader market's halting climb Friday as various pieces of positive news buoyed the sector.
Limelight Networks (LLNW) was one of the biggest winners, soaring 47% to $22.05 after its initial public offering. The Tempe, Ariz., network-services company priced 16 million shares at $15 a pop, along with an underwriters' option for up to another 2.4 million shares.
Herley Industries (HRLY), of Lancaster, Pa., leapt 9.9% to $17.59 after fiscal third-quarter income vaulted to $14 million, or 27 cents a share, from 11 cents a share last year. That tops per-share estimates by a nickel, according to Thomson Financial.
Leading Brands (LBIX) rode high after the company launched a new energy drink in North America called Stoked. Shares jumped 10.7% to $4.54.Elsewhere, grocery-store chain Spartan Stores (SPTN), based in Grand Rapids, Mich., rose on a Friedman Billings upgrade to outperform. The analyst said Wal-Mart's (WMT) recent decision to cut back on new store openings will give room for Spartan to grow. Spartan shares climbed 7.3% to $28.70; Wal-Mart recently added 0.5% to $50. And Chuck E. Cheese operator CEC Entertainment (CEC), a member of both the Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600, was raised to hold from sell at Matrix Research. The Texas-based company was up 2.2% to $38.60. The Russell 2000, which also contains Herley and Spartan, lifted 0.5% at 829.1. The S&P SmallCap was 0.3% higher at 429.02.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV