Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Telik (TELK) plunged 30% Tuesday on startling information about its trial for experimental cancer treatment Telcyta, while other health care companies previewed their clinical work ahead.
Telik late Monday announced that the Food and Drug Administration had halted a study on the company's experimental cancer treatment Telcyta. Data released this weekend showed the drug had a negative survival rate and in fact hastened the deaths of women with advanced ovarian cancer as well as in a separate study of patients with small cell lung cancer.
For more on this, check out
The Nasdaq Biotechnology Index, which includes Telik, was down 1.74, or 0.2%, to 834.52.Meanwhile, late-stage clinical trials and filings kept some biotech names out of the red. Antigenics (AGEN) said Tuesday that GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) launched a phase III clinical trial evaluating its investigational Mage-A3 Antigen-Specific Cancer Immunotherapeutic (ASCI) in non-small cell lung cancer. The stock rose 14 cents, or 5.1%, to $2.89. After yesterday's big gain on positive results for liver cancer treatment Nexavar, Onyx Pharmaceuticals (ONXX) continued climbing Tuesday after Prudential changed its price target for the company from $25 to $31. The stock was up 79 cents, or 2.4%, to $34.31.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV