AG Edwards Deal Boosts These Funds
A major deal in the financial services sector is proving to be a boon to mutual funds that hold regional brokerages.
Wachovia's (WB) announcement Thursday that it plans to buy A.G. Edwards (AGE) in a $6.8 billion cash-and-stock deal, creating the second-largest U.S. brokerage firm after Merrill Lynch (MER) sent the St. Louis firm's stock up 14.3% to $88.16.
The big move benefited investors in funds that hold a lot of AGE. As of March 31, the (ARGFX)Ariel fund had 3.3% of its assets in A.G. Edwards, and the (IMSCX)IMS Capital Value fund had 2.7%, according to Morningstar. Ariel closed Thursday up 0.7% at $58.44 while IMS Capital Value gained 0.6% to finish at $23.16. (CVAAX)Calamos Value A, which held 2.37% as of January 31, picked up 0.5% to close at $14.17.
The deal sparked a rally among small regional brokerages, as traders snapped up shares of other companies that might get swept up in an industrywide wave of consolidation. Raymond James (RJF) was up 7.3%, while Jeffries (JEF) gained 4.7%. The (HASCX)Harbor Small Cap Value Fund held 2.4% of its assets in Raymond James and 2.3% of its assets in Jefferies as of March 31. It finished Thursday ahead 0.8% at $22.76. Shares of Wachovia were down 0.7% Thursday to close at $54.19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV