Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Gaming the Russell Rebalancing
Last year at this time, Jones had one analyst covering it; the company got into the Russell index, and now there are five analysts.
Additionally last year, a total of 228 stocks were added to the Russell 2000, out of which 111 went higher and 98 went lower. Even though this might seem like 50-50 odds, the stocks that went up moved much more than those that went down, Cramer said.
In fact, the top five performers of the Russell index last year -- Sigma Designs (SIGM), Matrix Service (MTRX), Bradley Pharmaceuticals (BDY), Jones Soda and Advanced Magnetics (AMAG) -- are all up more than 100%, Cramer said, and all came from different sectors.
The rebalance has to happen, Cramer said. Don't read about this in the papers after the fact.
Three for AllCramer said he has three favorite stocks that he believes are likely to get added to the Russell 2000. Even if the stocks aren't added to the index, Cramer likes these plays. But remember, Cramer reminded viewers, to not trade after hours, to use limit orders and to buy these picks incrementally. The first of Cramer's Russell 2000 stocks is Coleman Cable (CCIX), a company that makes electrical wire and cable, he said. Coleman is now big enough to be included in the index and only has one analyst covering it, Cramer said. However, this should change if it joins the Russell 2000. He said he could even see a company such as General Cable (BGC) buying it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV