Brocade Tops Bottom Line
Updated from 4:56 p.m. EDT
Storage networking-gear maker Brocade (BRCD) exceeded second-quarter EPS earnings expectations and nearly doubled revenue, aided by its acquisition of McData.
This was Brocade's first full quarter after closing the nearly $1 billion acquisition of its smaller rival in January.
But Brocade said Thursday that it earned $800,000, or break-even EPS, compared with income of $13.5 million, or 5 cents a share a year ago, including items and related income tax adjustments from the McData buy.Excluding items, the company earned $46.6 million, or 11 cents a share, a 76% increase from last year, beating Thomson First Call analysts' consensus estimate of 9 cents a share and the company's own guidance. On this basis, operating margins expanded slightly to 16.8%, above high end of Brocade's 13% to 15% projection, and in line with its long-term model target of 15%-20%. The company attributed the results to accelerated cost savings from the merger with McData. Brocade said it achieved savings of $131 million in the quarter, ahead of its plans to save $125 million to $150 million by the end of the year. Revenue grew 89% to $345.3 million from $182.7 million a year ago, reflecting products and services acquired through the acquisition, and matching consensus expectations. "The fundamentals of our business remain strong, and I am extremely pleased with our execution this quarter," said Chief Executive Michael Klayko.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV