Patent Ruling May Mean Trouble for Big Pharma
Not surprisingly, another big challenger of patents, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA), also welcomed the Supreme Court's ruling.
"Certainly on the surface,
Participants and observers in the arcane world of patent law say it will take a while before they can gauge how the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and lower courts will interpret the ruling, which has already taken effect.
At first glance, they say it appears companies will have a tougher time defending patents, especially those related to incremental improvements on existing drugs, a practice known as patent life-cycle management.The Supreme Court ruling "will have a significant impact on the issue of patent life-cycle management," said Steven Ludwig, a partner in Venable LLP, a law firm whose clients include the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the trade association for big drug companies. "The standard has been lowered. It may be easier for generic companies to invalidate patents."
Cloudy ForecastAlthough attorneys say each case is different, the ruling could influence patents on a drug's administration, for example a once-a-day pill vs. a twice-a-day pill or on different ways a drug is absorbed in the bloodstream. Chemical cousins, in which different drugs have similar molecules, also could be affected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV