Wednesday's ETF Winners & Losers
VeriSign was rising 5% after CEO Stratton Sclavos abruptly resigned after 12 years of holding the position.
Meanwhile, rumors of takeover bids pushed Openwave Systems higher by 5%. Rival InfoSpace (INSP) was gaining after word that Spanish company LaNetro Zed may acquire the company for $1 billion.
The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs ETF was recently up 11 cents, or 2.1%, to $5.30.Energy-related ETFs were also among the best performers of a winning session Wednesday, as the front-month July contract was last up 25 cents to $63.40 a barrel. The Ultra Oil & Gas ProShares (DIG) was higher by $1.90, or 1.8%, to $94.89. The SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equipment & Services (XES) ETF was adding 53 cents, or 1.3%, to $35.78. The Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE) ETF gained 95 cents, or 1.2%, to $68.20. The SPDR Oil & Gas Exploration & Production (XOP) ETF was recently up 59 cents, or 1.1%, to $46.29. On the other hand, bundled securities tracking semiconductors were among the biggest decliners. Various holdings were lower by 1.4% or more, including Intel (INTC), Applied Materials (AMAT), KLA-Tencor (KLAC) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). The Ultra Semiconductor ProShares (USD) ETF was shedding $1.40, or 2.2%, at $76.10. The SPDR S&P Semiconductor (XSD) ETF eased 69 cents, or 1.3% to $51.06. The Semiconductor HOLDRs (SMH) ETF was recently down 24 cents, or 0.9%, to $36.16. The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) ETF was lower by 14 cents, or 1.1%, at $18.88. The B2B Internet HOLDRs (BHH) ETF was also among the losers of the day as holding Ariba (ARBA) slid 0.6%. The ETF was recently lower by 3 cents, or 1.3%, to $2.21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV