Red Sox Curse Lingers
You can see why the clients are fleeing. Henry had a magical touch in the markets throughout the '80s and '90s. But ever since the late fall of 2004, it has all turned to ashes.
Has anyone seen Bill Buckner?
Since Nov. 1, 2004, Henry's main fund, Strategic Allocation, has plunged by nearly a third. If you'd invested $1,000 at that moment you'd have watched in horror since as it shrank to just $670, according to the company's own Web site.
The figure for the Standard & Poor's 500 index: Nearly $1,400.Twice as much. Over the same period, Henry's GlobalAnalytics fund has turned $1,000 into just $800, compared to $1,700 and change in the MSCI EAFE international equities index. And his financials and metals portfolio has also lost a fifth of its value. Henry even closed his original investment fund, which he had traded successfully since the early 1980s, after it suffered three years of heavy losses. To be fair, he's not alone. Like most traders, Henry and his firm are basically chartists ... trying to divine trends from financial charts so they can jump on board. "Eighty percent of the world's traders are probably trend followers," says Jonkheel. The problem, he says, is that prices have been whipsawing around instead of moving in longer trends. Suddenly, the charts don't work the way they used to.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV