Tuesday's Late Winners & Losers
Smithfield Foods (SFD) sunk 5.7% after the meat processor warned its fourth-quarter profits could fall short of Wall Street's expectations. In a statement after the bell, the company estimated earnings of 30 cents to 35 cents a share for the fiscal fourth quarter, which ended last month. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had an average estimate for earnings of 44 cents a share. The company blamed the expected shortfall on rising costs in hog production and its cattle feed business, hurt by the rising price of corn. Shares were trading down $1.87 to $30.88.
VeriFone Holdings (PAY) sank 3.8% after reporting a much smaller first-quarter profit. The company, which provides electronic transaction automation systems, reported net income of $4.9 million, or 6 cents a share, compared to $15 million, or 23 cents a share in the year-ago period. VeriFone said the decrease was due mainly to acquisition and increased stock-based compensation-related costs.
The company also increased its second-quarter guidance, but still fell short of analysts' estimates. It now expects net income of $14 million, or 17 cents a share, up from earlier guidance of $13.2 million, or 13 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expect 38 cents a share. Shares were down $1.40 to $35.65.
Borders Group (BGP) eased 4% after reporting a wider first-quarter loss after the bell. The bookseller lost $35.9 million, or 61 cents a share, up from $20.2 million, or 31 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected a loss of 38 cents a share. Shares were down 93 cents to $22.39 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV