Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Updated from 3:05 p.m. EDT
Health-related stock indices were mixed after the long holiday weekend Tuesday, as some stocks climbed with no announcements and others lagged on neutral-to-positive news.
Qiagen (QGEN) announced on Tuesday that it signed a new licensing agreement with Germany's Epigenomics, expanding on one from 2005. The new agreement gives the Netherlands-based company the exclusive worldwide rights to Epigenomics' sample technologies for use in applied testing and in in-vitro molecular diagnostics.
Epigenomics receives an upfront fee and further milestone payments and royalties, though precise financial terms weren't disclosed. A nonexclusive back-license also gives Epigenomics the rights to use the technologies in developmental projects and to commercialize in-vitro molecular diagnostics. Shares of Qiagen were up 28 cents, or 1.7%, to $17.21.Among those climbing on no apparent news were Affymetrix (AFFX), which rose 77 cents, or 3%, to $26.26, and InterMune (ITMN), which increased 66 cents, or 2.6%, to $26.05. Both stocks are part of the Amex Bioptechnology Index, which was up 6.39, or 0.8%, to 818.62. Micrus Endovascular (MEND) said Tuesday that it received 510(k) clearance from the Food and Drug Administration for its Enzo steerable microcatheter. However, its stock was down 31 cents, or 1.5%, to $21.04.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV