Coke Deal Was Pricey but Right
Even if Coca-Cola (KO) is paying a high price for enhanced-water maker Energy Brands, analysts appear to believe the purchase will be worth it.
The cola wars of yesteryear have given way to a battle for the healthier and freer-spending consumer, one for whom tap water will no longer do. Even ordinary -- if it can be called that -- bottled water finds itself facing ever stiffer competition from the likes of Energy Brands' convenience-store staple Vitaminwater.
New options in the sports-drink category are constantly being churned out, but at the moment the neighborhood bully is PepsiCo (PEP), whose offerings include Gatorade and Propel Fitness Water.
Coca-Cola, wanting a bigger piece of the action, said Friday that it will buy Energy Brands, which does business as Glaceau, for $4.1 billion in cash. Judy Hong of Goldman Sachs wrote in a research report that "though we think the purchase price is too high, we also see the deal as a moderate positive."Erin Ashley Smith of Argus Research agrees that the terms seem inflated but could still pay off. "While the acquisition price appears high, we think it is justified; the Glaceau brands are in fast-growing, high-margin channels." An AC Nielsen report states that both water and sports drinks grew at double-digit rates between 2004 and 2006, and Coca-Cola clearly expects beverages of these types to continue serving as strong alternatives to soda. "These categories of water and energy drinks are expected to make up a large portion of the beverage industry's volume and gross profit in North America through 2010," the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV