Calm Your Selloff Fears With These Five ETFs
Start with the assumption that an equity portfolio for a U.S.-based investor is 75% domestic (in Spyders (SPY)) and 25% foreign (in iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA)). To reduce volatility and correlation but still capture most of a big move up, let's cut the Spyders weight to 50% and reallocate that 25% of the capital in 5% increments to:
- Calamos Convertible Opportunities and Income Fund (CHI): A convertible bond fund that yields 9%. Convertibles tend to be less sensitive to interest rates because the bonds can convert into common stock.
- PowerShares DB Currency Harvest Fund
(DBV): Goes long the three highest-yielding currencies in the Group of 10 and short the three lowest-yielding currencies in a carry trade of sorts, as I've
- CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB): This very small fund (averages just under 7,000 shares daily and a market cap that doesn't quite make $60 million) simply owns British pounds and goes up when the pound goes up against the U.S. dollar (and down in the reverse case).
- Alpine Global Dynamic Dividend Fund
(AGD): A closed-end fund that makes use of the
- BlackRock Enhanced Equity Yield Fund
call-writingclosed-end fund that appears to be a little less volatile than other funds that use the same general strategy.
Before I deconstruct this mix, note the most important thing about these five products: All rely on different strategies to achieve their respective results.
An important element of diversification is not being overly exposed (that is, too vulnerable) to one type of trade going bad. For example, EEF is a call-writing closed-end fund. I am a huge fan of the concept, but in practice don't allocate even 5% to the theme. Or if something bad were to happen to the dividend-capture strategy that AGD is based on, there shouldn't be any lasting impact on the other products in our imagined portfolio -- and therefore the whole portfolio.
Low correlation to S&P
|Ticker||Beta||Correlation to SPX|
| Good Stress Test
Most portfolio enhancements held up better than the portfolio's original mix during the first quarter
|Click here for larger image.|
|Source: Yahoo! Finance|
An investor implementing the above portfolio on the first trading day of the year would have been up 6.58% as of the close on May 25, compared with a return of 7.53% (including dividends) for being 100% invested in Spyders during the same period. I would expect the results to look more favorable once a year's worth of dividends has been paid. This sort of trade-off is a compelling. Keep in mind that this is just an example, but I hope this serves as springboard for you to develop your own ideas.
Please note that due to factors including low market capitalization and/or insufficient public float, we consider PowerShares DB Currency Harvest Fund, CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust and BlackRock Enhanced Equity Yield Fund to be small-cap stocks. You should be aware that such stocks are subject to more risk than stocks of larger companies, including greater volatility, lower liquidity and less publicly available information, and that postings such as this one can have an effect on their stock prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV