Calm Your Selloff Fears With These Five ETFs
The email I get from readers indicates there's a keen interest in achieving returns that roughly equal the market but that take less risk and have an increased yield. The interest in this concept seems heightened now that the market has gone almost straight up for several months.
I believe there is a lot of value in exploring how to structure portfolios to create a desired effect. This can go a long way toward learning more about how capital markets work, which in turn can lead to better returns or, more specifically, better risk-adjusted returns.
Let me explain "risk-adjusted returns." Say the market goes up 10% in a year, and a given portfolio goes up only 8.5% in that same year -- but does so by taking on only half of the risk of the market. So that portfolio's result, while not market-beating at first blush, is actually a very good result.
After the big market run we've enjoyed lately, it makes sense to be concerned that there is a high probability the market could correct or trade sideways. In this column, I'll explore how to make a couple of changes to an existing portfolio in an effort to reduce volatility and correlation to the market without making a big bet, in case the market defies history and keeps going up at the same rate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV