Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Exchange-traded funds tracking the Internet sector were among the top performers Friday, as several individual names supported a jump in the tech sector.
The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) was the best performer of the Internet ETFs, recently up 12 cents, or 2.4%, to $5.17. The First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index (FDN) was higher by 18 cents, or 0.7%, at $25.62. The Internet HOLDRs (HHH) was climbing 17 cents, or 0.3%, at $61.39.
Energy-related ETFs were also among the best performers of a winning session Friday, as the front-month July crude contract was up 45 cents to $64.63 a barrel.The Ultra Oil & Gas ProShares (DIG) was higher by $1.85, or 2%, to $93.25. The SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equipment & Services (XES) ETF was adding 37 cents, or 1.1%, to $35.28. The Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE) ETF gained 87 cents, or 1.3%, to $67.53. The SPDR Oil & Gas Exploration & Production (XOP) ETF was recently up 54 cents, or 1.2%, to $45.55. Bundled securities following the housing sector were among the biggest decliners of the session. Earlier, the National Association of Realtors said that existing-home sales eased 2.6% in April to a rate of 5.99 million annualized units, compared with 6.12 million units in March. The decline was greater than economists anticipated. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) ETF was recently losing 50 cents, or 1.3%, at $37.04. The SPDR Homebuilders (XHB) ETF was down 44 cents, or 1.2%, to $35.31. Utility-related ETFs were also among the losers of the session. Among individual names, Southern Co. (SO) was down 1.1%, Duke Energy (DUK) eased 1.3%, and Edison International (EIX) slid 1%. The Ultra Utilities ProShares (UPW) was shedding 94 cents, or 1.1%, to $86.07. The Utility HOLDRs (UTH) was falling by $1.09, or 0.8%, to $145.10. The Vanguard Utilities ETF (VPU) lost 42 cents, or 0.5%, to $85.38.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV