Thursday's ETF Winners & Losers
The aircraft company supported the ETF and kept the Dow Jones Industrial Average from slumping further into negative territory. Boeing reached an all-time high of $98.84 a share one day after CEO Jim McNerney backed the aerospace giant's outlook for the next two years. Boeing was recently up $2.56, or 2.7%, to $98.13. The rise buoyed the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Aerospace & Defense ETF, which was adding 29 cents, or 0.5%, to $61.04.
Utility-related ETFs were among the biggest losers of the session. Among individual names, FPL Group (FPL) was down 3.3%, Exelon (EXC) slid 3.1%, American Electric Power (AEP) was lower by 2.7%, and Duke Energy (DUK) eased 1.5%.
The Ultra Utilities ProShares (UPW) was shedding $3.13, or 4%, to $88.87. The Vanguard Utilities ETF (VPU) lost $1.46, or 2%, to $86.69. The Utility HOLDRs (UTH) was falling by $2.65, or 1.9%, to $147.32.ETFs tracking metals and mining were also among the day's worst performers. Gold was recently lower by $7 to $655.60 an ounce, and silver was falling by 21 cents to $12.89 an ounce. The PowerShares DB Base Metals (DBB) ETF was falling by 90 cents, or 3.1%, to $25.94. The PowerShares DB Silver (DBS) ETF was off 56 cents, or 2.2%, to $25.16. The Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX) ETF was lower by 81 cents, or 2.1%, to $38.51. The Market Vectors Steel (SLX) ETF was down $1.18, or 1.8%, to $63.42. Bundled securities tracking semiconductors were also losing ground. Various holdings were lower by 1% or more, including Intel (INTC), Maxim Integrated (MXIM), Xilinx (XLNX), and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). The Ultra Semiconductor ProShares (USD) ETF was shedding $1.82, or 2.3%, at $76.92. The SPDR S&P Semiconductor (XSD) ETF eased 88 cents, or 1.7% to $51.01. The Semiconductor HOLDRs (SMH) ETF was recently down 39 cents, or 0.6%, to $36.23. The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) ETF was lower by 17 cents, or 1%, at $18.71.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV