Gas Grief? Eight Ways to Save on Your Commute
With the rising price of fuel, more and more people are considering ways to cut the costs associated with their commute.
While your individual circumstances will determine what you can and can't implement, there are a number of different options you can use to help reduce these costs. Here are some ideas to consider:
Get up earlier: One of the easiest and least disruptive ways to save money on your commute -- particularly if your company offers flexible hours -- is to change the time you drive to and from work. If you get up an hour earlier, you may miss the majority of the morning rush hour, which will enable you to get to work much more quickly than if you left at your regular time.
The same is true on your commute back home. You could actually create more time for yourself. By not spending as much time in your car due to the lighter traffic, you can be more productive, save time and spend less on your commute all at the same time.Reroute your commute: The automatic assumption is that the shortest route will get you to work the quickest. There are times, however, when taking a slightly roundabout way can save you time and money if you are able to avoid traffic jams. If you can find several ways to your office, you can choose the most efficient way, depending on that day's traffic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV