What Happens When My Stock Is Delisted?
Still, as a shareholder, having your company delisted can have severe effects on your portfolio . Obviously, most companies that are delisted were in dire straits to begin with, but the act of delisting can actually force their stock prices to decrease further.
While the intrinsic value of the stock hasn't changed since the day before the stock was delisted, the very fact that it was ejected from its exchange is enough to make the market factors push its price even further below water. That stock that you once paid your hard-earned cash for is likely pretty close to worthless now.
When you own a delisted stock, cutting your losses might seem like a good move. But unless your holdings represent a large amount of money to you, it might not be worth the brokerage fees and time to sell.
Besides, if you still believe that your company's performance will head back up, remember that companies can become listed again after they meet the exchange's listing requirements once again. Needless to say, a company making its way back up from trading over the counter will have a lot of investor confidence to regain. Because of this, it's not uncommon for companies to rebrand themselves (with a new name or management team, perhaps) before relisting.Investor Beware Delisting is rarely a nice situation for most public companies, and it's especially unpleasant if you happen to be a shareholder. Be wary of companies that appear to be close to falling below the minimum continuing listing requirements of the exchange they trade on -- unless you're in a position to benefit from their collapse. Companies get delisted each year, but this occurrence is infrequent enough that there's a good chance you won't come across it in your own holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV