Apollo Raises EGL Bid
EGL (EAGL) said an Apollo Management affiliate upped its bid for the company to $47.50 a share, moving back in front of a rival group led by CEO Jim Crane.
EGL said the Apollo group, a U.K. entity called Ceva, also agreed to cut the termination fee payable to it to $20 million from $30 million under certain circumstances. Ceva said it will pay EGL, a Houston-based logistics firm, $40 million if it can't get financing and $60 million if it breaches merger terms.
A special panel of EGL's board said it determined the latest bid by Ceva is superior to the latest Crane proposal.
The news comes just three days after Crane, the CEO who has been trying to take EGL private throughout this year, made the latest increase in his offer. He bid $46.25 for EGL on Friday, trumping a $46-a-share bid from Ceva. Crane had earlier bid $38 a share for EGL before the rival bidder emerged.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV