Wednesday's Winners & Losers: Copa Holdings
Updated from 12:46 p.m. EDT
Copa Holdings (CPA) was among the NYSE's winners Wednesday, as shares rose 10.2% after the transportation services company posted better-than-expected first-quarter results.
The company earned $48.6 million, or $1.12 a share, on revenue of $242.7 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 99 cents a share on revenue of $233.9 million. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $32.3 million, or 75 cents a share, on revenue of $191.7 million. Shares closed up $6.30 to $67.89.
Bausch & Lomb (BOL) rose 9.8% after the eye-care products company agreed to be acquired by Warburg Pincus for about $3.7 billion in cash. The private equity firm will pay $65 a share, representing a 26% premium to the company's closing price of $61.50 on Tuesday. "After extensive negotiations and careful and thorough analysis, together with our independent advisors, the special committee and our board have unanimously endorsed this transaction as in the best interest of the company and our shareholders," Bausch & Lomb said. "We are pleased that this transaction appropriately recognizes the value of Bausch & Lomb's highly respected brand and innovative products in the eye care industry, while providing our shareholders with an immediate and substantial cash premium for their investment in Bausch & Lomb."The terms of the deal allow Bausch & Lomb to shop itself to other suitors for the next 50 days; the company plans to pursue that opportunity. If Bausch & Lomb does get acquired by another company, it will have to pay Warburg Pincus a $40 million breakup fee. Shares of Bausch & Lomb closed up $6 to $67.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV