Tuesday's Late Winners & Losers
Trading was mixed after the bell Tuesday, and among the winners was California's Agile Software (AGIL).
The business-software maker surged more than 13% after Oracle (ORCL) agreed to buy it for $8.10 a share, or about $495 million, in a deal that should close in July. Agile recently gained 93 cents to $8.01 as Oracle rose 4 cents to $18.88.
Shares of Compuware (CPWR) climbed 8.2% at $10.75 after the Detroit-based application-software developer posted earnings of $67.5 million, or 21 cents a share, compared with 15 cents a share a year ago. This beats Thomson Financial's per-share consensus by 4 cents.
Another application-software firm, New Jersey's CommVault Systems (CVLT) gained a penny on last year's non-GAAP income to 14 cents a share, or 2 cents higher than the mean target. Shares were up 1.9% at $16.10.Citigroup (C) was also among the late winners, tacking on 1.7% at $53.70 after ESL Investments -- a hedge fund run by Sears Holding chairman Eddie Lampert -- disclosed it had taken a 15.2-million-share stake in the banking giant. On the flip side, Applied Materials (AMAT) slid 3.8% to $19.03 following an initial postclose spike after the Santa Clara, Calif., semiconductor-equipment maker forecast a 10% to 15% sequential drop in orders in a conference call, despite topping fiscal second-quarter estimates in both earnings and revenue. Blue Holdings (BLUE), a small-cap jeans maker based in Commerce, Calif., also suffered after saying per-share earnings came to a half a penny, or $117,000, down from 3 cents a share last year. Sales declined 28.9% year over year to $8.4 million. The analyst that follows the company had forecast 2 cents a share on $13.1 million in sales. Shares lately lost 6.7% to $1.80.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV