Dining Under the Rising Sun
|Galatoire's Imre Szalai|
Her name was Debi Trichel and she was headed to New Orleans for an annual meeting of friends, but mostly for the illustrious famed cuisine. "Think of the crawfish," she said to calm my pretakeoff jitters.
A few days later, sitting in
Sultry green light, reflecting from the park's Spanish moss, came through the windows as I dug into my Pontchatoula strawberry panna cotta, an Italian custard paired up with Louisiana strawberries and a balsamic reduction.
My only regret was not having ordered my dining partner's house-baked creamy cheesecake lollipops -- complete with wooden stems -- as well.
There's no room for culinary classicism in a city where food is king. Whether
beignets (a French take on doughnuts) and
cafe au lait (coffee with chicory) from
"People who come to New Orleans come to eat," says Ralph's executive chef, Gus Martin.Ralph's on the Park, voted Best Restaurant Post-Katrina by the readers of local New Orleans paper
Steeped in HistoryPart of New Orleans' epicurean equality comes from long-standing traditions that blend unlikely continents and people. Martin, for instance, has a 25-year history working for the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV