Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
Net 1 UEPS Technologies (UEPS), a South Africa-based payment processor, jumped 8.9% to $26.97 on fiscal third-quarter income of 32 cents a share, which is a penny higher than two analysts' estimates from Thomson Financial.
Elsewhere, insurance behemoth American International Group (AIG), based in New York, posted adjusted first-quarter income of $4.4 billion, or $1.68 a share. This is 39 cents a share higher than last year and beats Street targets by 14 cents. Shares tacked on 0.5% to $72.58.
Among the multitudes of rising financial stocks today, Signature Bank (SBNY) was up 5.3% to $33.90; mortgage lender Countrywide Financial (CFC) added 2.8% to $41.08; and broker Merrill Lynch (MER) gained 2.7% to $93.51.
Arthur J. Gallagher (AJG) was among the few financial losers today, slipping 3 cents to $28.56 after Thursday's just-before-close announcement that it bought fellow Illinois-based insurance broker Tropp & Co. for an undisclosed sum.Joining AJG on the lonely losing side today were Ladenburg Thalmann Financial (LTS), losing 1.5% to $2.60; online broker TD Ameritrade (AMTD), off 1% to $17.96; and insurance broker Marsh & McLennan (MMC), recently giving up 1% at $30.86.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV