Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 12:15 p.m. EDT
Both commodities exchanges climbed after CME sweetened its bid for CBOT, agreeing to pay 16% more in stock than that agreed upon in October and to repurchase up to about 12% of the new company's shares for $560 apiece after the deal closes. Current CBOT holders will also own 34.6% of the new company vs. the prior 31.2%.
The CBOT's board moreover said IntercontinentalExchange's (ICE) all-stock rival bid, launched in March, was "not superior" to the CME's revised offer. CME was up 7.7% to $536.30, and CBOT added 3.8% to $201.35. ICE lately rose 4.2% to $140.55.The NYSE Financial Sector Index, of which all three exchanges are components, surged 126.95 points, or 1.3%, to 9894.82. The KBW Bank Index, which only tracks large banks, was more in line with the rest of the market, adding 0.6% to 117.15. Meanwhile, shares of NovaStar Financial (NFI) spiked 8.2% to $7 after the Missouri-based subprime-mortgage lender reported that first-quarter earnings rose sharply from last year to $44.4 million, or $1.18 a share, compared with 69 cents last year. The climb was largely due to NovaStar's plan to end its status as a real estate investment trust as of Jan. 1, 2008, which brought in a one-time tax-related gain of $84.2 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV