Boulder Investments Fund Saga Gets Comical
Some mighty strange goings-on out in Boulder, Colo., where events at Boulder Investments' (BIF) Growth & Income (BIF) fund are starting to look like a Road Runner cartoon.
You'll remember how Wile E. Coyote could run off the edge of a cliff and just keep on running in mid-air ... until he looked down.
That's sort of where investors in Growth & Income found themselves two weeks ago, when the fund suddenly plunged 25%.
This is not the kind of result you normally expect from a conservative investment fund whose biggest stake is in Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A). But then, nothing about this fund is quite what it seems.Growth & Income is a closed-end fund whose shares trade throughout the day on the stock market. Through nearly the first four months of this year, those shares soared 60%. Wonderful, yes? Um, sort of. The problem is that the shares left the cliff edge months ago and were simply running in mid-air. While the price went from $9.63 on Jan. 1 to $15.45 late last month, the actual value of the fund's investments rose by just a single penny, from $9.19 a share to $9.20. Turns out, by late April this cartoon coyote fund was running about 60% above the ground. Then investors looked down. Cue the long face ... and the last, pitiful wave goodbye. Beep beep!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV