Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:50 p.m. EDT
Biotech and other health care stocks edged lower Wednesday on a precipitous drop from Dendreon (DNDN) and a host of poor earnings.
Dendreon, the biopharmaceutical company that saw shares soar to more than $25 early last month, experienced a dramatic fall after the company announced that the Food and Drug Administration had asked for additional clinical data on its therapeutic cancer treatment Provenge before granting approval. Shares plummeted $11.41, or 64.3%, to $6.33.
Greater-than-expected losses sank Inspire Pharmaceuticals (ISPH). The company reported a net first-quarter loss of $26.1 million, or 62 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had expected a net loss of 55 cents a share. Quarter over quarter, losses increased from $14.0 million, or 33 cents a share, from last year. Shares fell 72 cents, or 9.9%, to $6.52.Progenics Pharmaceuticals (PGNX) also reported a wider-than-expected first-quarter loss of $10.4 million, or 40 cents a share. In the year-ago quarter, the company reported a loss of $2.6 million, or 10 cents a share. The Thomson Financial consensus target was a loss of 14 cents a share. Progenics says its increase in expenses was mostly due to a $12.6 million increase in research and development costs incurred in its collaboration with Wyeth (WYE), preparation for clinical trials for its other products, and an increase in personnel. Progenics shares fell 79 cents, or 3.3%, to $23.14. Osteotech (OSTE) reported a net first-quarter loss of $600,000, or 4 cents a share, including $1.1 million in costs associated with the settlement of certain litigation and related legal fees. Excluding those fees, adjusted non-GAAP net income was $400,000, or 2 cents a share. Net income for the same period in the previous year was $500,000, or 3 cents a share. Shares declined 35 cents, or 4.6%, to $7.24.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV