Research In Motion Ripens
BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM) is again bearing fruit.
A positive outlook from its analyst day Monday, the launch of a new consumer-targeted phone called the BlackBerry Curve and signs that the company has more products awaiting launch dates this year seem to have revived investor interest.
There's also a realization that RIM's business could remain unaffected by the upcoming release of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, whose features are likely to appeal to a different audience from RIM's, say analysts.
Less than a month after the company's shares dropped nearly 8% on news of its fourth-quarter results, RIM is back.The company stock broached its 52-week high Wednesday, up roughly 5%, to trade at $154.28, past its previous high of $148.95 in April. "I think the reaction in the market is an understanding that the growth is stronger, competitive barriers are higher and valuation relative to earnings is lower than expected," says Mike Abramsky, an analyst with RBC Capital Markets, which does not own shares or have an investment banking relationship with RIM. Even at the new high, RIM is lower than the median price target of $170 a share, according to Thomson Financial. In the last few days, RIM has launched a new phone, a sign that the company isn't letting up on innovation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV