Safe Computing on the Road, Part 2
Step Nine: Secure Server
If it's absolutely necessary to send information that includes account or password information over the Internet through a public wireless hotspot, be sure to connect to a secure server.
You'll know you're using a secure server for your transaction by the locked padlock icon on your browser (often in the lower-right-hand corner). This shows that you're using an SSL (secure-sockets layer)-encrypted session.
You can also check that the Web site you're accessing is using a secure server by looking at the URL; a secure server has "https://" in its address, rather than the usual "http://."
Step 10: Data CareLosing your laptop can really put you in hot water. Almost every day the news is full of data losses leading to identity theft, mostly due to the sloppy handling of a laptop. Your company could lose a lot of market value, and you could be in big trouble. So this tip is really in two parts:
- Don't put more data than you need on your machine for the job you're going to do. Some minor hardware losses have grown into big data disasters due to the loss of a laptop containing all the company's records and client data. You probably don't need to carry around all your company's data when you travel.
- Encrypt your data, so if your laptop is lost, hackers can't use it and you're just out the cost of the hardware. Otherwise, anyone who steals and uses your laptop can read everything on it, because it just takes a few minutes to crack your login and password. The Feds are now requiring that all mobile devices employ encryption, and Visa and MasterCard, through their PCI initiative, are insisting on data encryption too. There are several companies that sell mobile device encryption software; one good one is Pointsec.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV