Safe Computing on the Road, Part 2
Editor's note: This is the second installment of a two-part series on keeping your information safe while traveling. Click here for Part 1.
Last time, I gave you five good tips to help make your computing safe and productive during business travels. So now let's look at five more precautions you can take to make sure you don't bring back spyware or a virus from your business trip.
If keeping connected while on the road is essential for your job, there are some steps you need to follow if you're going to be using your laptop or mobile device at the airport or in coffee shops, hotels or other public places.
Step Six: Up to Date
Always keep your operating system current with new patches released by the vendor. This goes for your operating system, as well as software updates to your applications and hardware drivers.If you have a company-supplied laptop, your company's network probably downloads those updates to your machine automatically. If not, you'll need to do it yourself. Most software or operating system vendors provide the ability to update your unit from the Web, either automatically or by downloading a critical patch file. Either way, be sure you're all up-to-date before you head out the door. To view Russell Vines' video take of today's segment, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV