Safe Computing on the Road
Sometimes hackers install keylogging software on shared computers to record and distribute personal-account information. Trojan horses have been installed on copy shop and hotel shared computers, and users' banking passwords have been stolen and distributed.
So if possible, never use a public computer for personal banking or sensitive communications.
Step Five: Cover Your Tracks
And when you're finished using that public computer, be sure to clear your browser's cache and cookies before logging off.
This will help prevent the next person using the computer from knowing where you've been on the Internet. Some cookies are written so poorly that they store your passwords and other personal information right on the computer, so another user might be able to retrieve that information.This is also a good habit to get into, even when working from home or the office on your own laptop or PC. If Internet Explorer is your browser, do this by selecting "tools" -- "Internet options" and clicking "delete cookies," "delete files" and "clear history." Mozilla's Firefox browser can be set to clear the cache and cookies after every session, or check your browser's "help" menu for the commands. In my next installment, I'll give you five more tips to keep your computer safe no matter where your business travel takes you.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV