The Stockpickr Guide to Uranium
The uranium market has been on fire over the past year. The spot price has risen from $20 to $113 since 2004. And now, with uranium futures available to trade on the Nymex starting today, the speculators will join in, as well as the uranium producers who are looking to hedge. It's important to take a look at the stocks that might be affected, and how.
On the April 13 broadcast of CNBC's "Mad Money," Jim Cramer said there are two plays that can take advantage of the fact that Wall Street had not yet priced in uranium's cost at over $100, and the expense of producing it at $50 per pound if you extract it from phosphate. Check them out at Cramer's Stealthy Uranium Plays.
"Mosaic is the largest producer of phosphate on earth," Cramer said. "Mosaic has got the phosphate, and phosphate has got the uranium."On the down side, Barron's on April 17 wrote about how supply disruptions and dwindling inventories have severely hurt companies like Exelon (EXC), which have to purchase uranium. "Operators in regulated electricity markets probably will be allowed to recover the higher costs of uranium via higher rates for customers," Barron's wrote. "But nuclear operators in competitive markets, like Exelon, Entergy (ETR), FPL Group (FPL) and Dominion Resources (D), will see higher fuel costs deplete profit margins." For more of Barron's insight, go to Stockpickr's Who Will Get Hurt by Higher Uranium Costs? blog. Scroll down the right to see the "Hate list," stocks that are negatively being affected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV