Red Sox Owner's Fund Gets Bloodied
Updated from May 7
Tom Wolfe calls them the new masters of the universe. The media goggle over their billion-dollar fees. For the top tier of hedge fund managers, the sky looks like the limit.
Yet, away from the headlines, one of the industry's legendary pioneers is quietly sinking toward crisis as half of his clients have lost money over the long haul.
How big is John W. Henry? He was a hedge fund king before anyone had heard of such a thing. He's been speculating on the Street with billions since the early 1980s -- when most of today's big shots were still in junior high, and an "alternative investment firm" was one that allowed chinos on Fridays.For nearly 20 years, he left Wall Street trailing in his wake as he racked up huge profits for his clients and himself. Henry's managed futures firm used, and even pioneered, quantitative chart-based trading strategies to beat the market. Henry became a legend. He made so much money he was able to buy the Florida Marlins. Then, most famously, he bought the Boston Red Sox and took them to a World Series victory.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV