Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Exchange-traded funds tracking the Internet sector were among the top performers of Friday's session, thanks to a potential blockbuster deal for Internet giant Yahoo! (YHOO). According to the New York Post, Microsoft (MSFT) wants Yahoo! to enter formal discussions for what the report said could be a $50 billion deal. Yahoo! was surging 18.4%.
The Internet HOLDRs (HHH) was the best performer of the day, adding $3.21, or 5.3%, to $63.62. The First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index (FDN) was climbing 58 cents, or 2.3%, to $25.34. The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) was gaining 9 cents, or 1.8%, at $5.15.
The HealthShares Emerging Cancer (HHJ) ETF was another of the day's winners. Shares of Dendreon (DNDN) surged nearly 12% ahead of the Food and Drug Administration's expected May 15 ruling on the company's Provenge drug.The ETF was recently up 72 cents, or 2.7%, to $27.30. On the other hand, housing-related exchange-traded funds were among the biggest losers of Friday's session. Among individual names, Beazer Homes (BZH) dropped 2.4%, Pulte Homes (PHM) slumped 1.6%, D.R. Horton (DHI) was losing 1.1%, and Toll Brothers (TOL) eased 0.8%. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) ETF was recently falling by 49 cents, or 1.3%, at $36.54. The SPDR Homebuilders (XHB) ETF was down 36 cents, or 1%, to $34.57. Bundled securities tracking oil and gas services were also higher, despite a dip in crude prices. Recently, the front-month June contract was down 17 cents to $63.02 a barrel. Crude oil prices have now fallen more than 5% since last week's close. The Ultra Oil & Gas ProShares (DIG) was adding $1.33, or 1.5%, to $88.33. The SPDR Oil & Gas Equipment & Services (XES) ETF was recently up 48 cents, or 1.4%, to $34.76. The Oil Services HOLDRs (OIH) ETF gained $1.75, or 1.1%, to $162.95.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV