Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
On the other hand, California-based Hansen Medical (HNSN) shot up more than 20% to $22.75 after the Food and Drug Administration approved for commercialization its Sensei Robotic Catheter System and Artisan Control Catheter, a platform that assists physicians during the diagnostic phase of complex cardiac arrhythmia treatment.
EpiCept (EPCT) said a midphase trial of its NP-1 cream pain medication achieved its primary endpoint in patients with a painful condition called post-herpetic neuralgia. Shares of the Tarrytown, N.Y., company were leaping 11% to $3.24.
Another health name, Albany Molecular Research (AMRI) vaulted 11.7% to $10.73 after first-quarter income totaled a dime a share vs. 6 cents a year ago. Analysts were looking for profits to flat-line with last year.
Also coming in higher than anticipated were staffing-services firm Hudson Highland (HHGP), recently leaping 12.2% to $18.99; wireless-products maker Ntelos (NTLS), which added 9.4% to $22.21; and PGT (PGTI), maker of impact-resistant windows and doors, lately up 13.3% to $11.90.The Russell 2000 and S&P SmallCap 600 indices were both up slightly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV