Real Story: Sea of Joy
"The bulls were right -- but for the wrong reasons. The bears were just plain wrong," Aaron Task says on Wednesday's Real Story podcast.
Wednesday's rally, which secured the Dow Jones Industrial Average's 16th record high of the year, came amid another round of "good news," Task notes, specifically stronger-than-expected factor orders, strong earnings from the likes of Time Warner (TWX), Yum! Brands (YUM) and Mastercard (MA), as well as Cablevision's (CVC) $10-billion-plus private equity deal.
None of those developments point to a Federal Reserve rate cut, something many bulls have been counting on, TheStreet.com's editor-at-large and podcast host says. "But do we really need a rate cut to 'help the market' when the Dow, Russell 2000, S&P MidCap, Dow Transports and Utilities have all rallied to all-time highs recently as the odds of a near-term rate cut have fallen?"
Meanwhile, Wednesday's broad advance left the S&P 500 at its highest level since September 2000, while the Nasdaq hit its highest close since February 2001Task's first guest, Cody Willard of CL Willard Capital, discusses Tuesday's blockbuster bid by News Corp. (NWS) for Dow Jones (DJ). The deal is "genius," says Willard, a News Corp. shareholder. The RealMoney.com contributor is also a Google (GOOG) shareholder and says he'll sell the search giant's stock should it enter the Dow Jones bidding game, as some have speculated. Task's second guest, David Peltier, joins for their weekly "Should I Do It?" segment, tackling listeners' emails on stocks such as Rochester Medical (ROCM), Atari (ATAR) and Komag (KOMG). Click here to listen to the entire podcast.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV