A Metals ETF Finds It Tough Going
Deutsche Bank (DB) doesn't seem to be having much luck with its stable of clever metals exchange-traded funds.
Just look at the bank's gold product, the PowerShares DB Gold (DGL). In the months since its January launch, investors have given the fund a cavernous yawn. Accumulated assets totaled a paltry $26.3 million by the end of March -- about where it started -- and average daily volume currently runs at an anemic 22,000 shares.
In fact, it has made so little impact as a gold investment that Jeff Christian, guru of all things gold and managing director at New York-based specialty consulting firm CPM Group, said he'd never even heard of the DB Gold ETF and couldn't comment further on it.
It's not as if gold investing is out of fashion. The granddaddy of gold ETFs, streetTracks Gold Shares (GLD), picked up an additional 31 tons of gold during the first quarter, worth almost $700 million at today's prices. It brings the fund's recent total holdings to roughly 500 tons, or almost $11 billion.The question is: Why is the DB Gold ETF faring so poorly? It could be that the fund's designers at Deutsche Bank Commodity Services were too clever.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV