Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Staffing-services firm General Employment Enterprises (JOB) tumbled 23.1% to $2.10 in heavier-than-usual trading after fiscal second-quarter income, at 2 cents a share, was a penny lower than last year; health-care staffer AMN Healthcare Services (AHS) lost 8.7% at $22.23 on second-quarter income guidance of 23 cents to 25 cents a share, which leans below the Street's consensus. And Bruker BioSciences (BRKR), which makes X-ray systems and other analytical devices, plummeted 21% to $9.09 despite meeting first-quarter targets.
Elsewhere, refined-sugar purveyor Imperial Sugar (IPSU) was down 7.3% to $27.60 after predicting that declining refined-sugar prices will continue falling for the rest of the fiscal year. Mortgage-investment firm HomeBanc (HMB) sliced its first-quarter outlook by a dime a share, now expecting a loss of 30 cents to 34 cents a share. Shares gave up 11.1% to $2.49.
Recently, the Russell 2000 Index was adding 1.43 points, or 0.2%, to 816. The S&P SmallCap 600 was up 0.5% at 422.76.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV