Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small stocks were mixed and somewhat flat on Tuesday before ratcheting up late in the trading day, and one of the bigger winners was 24/7 Real Media (TFSM).
Shares surged more than 20% after the New York Post reported that Microsoft (MSFT) is considering a bid "in the $1 billion range" for the New York-based Internet-marketing company. 24/7 shares were up $2.05 to $12. Microsoft was lately rising 1.1% to $30.28.
Florida's Syniverse (SVR), which sells services to the wireless-telecom industry, shot up 18.6% at $12.23 on word first-quarter cash income gained 23.5% on last year to 21 cents a share -- 3 cents higher than the mean Street projection, as per Thomson Financial. Drew Industries (DW), a White Plains, N.Y., maker of recreational-vehicle components, vaulted 16.6% to $33.55 after blowing away first-quarter estimates, according to Thomson Financial, with earnings of $9.6 million, or 44 cents a share.
Also surging on better-than-expected first-quarter results were Wakefield, Mass.-based business-services firm American Dental Partners (ADPI), gaining 14.3% to $24.44; Connecticut's Arch Chemicals (ARJ), 12.1% higher at $33.87; and Bentley Pharmaceuticals (BNT), of Exeter, N.H., up 10.4% to $10.54.Acusphere (ACUS), on the other hand, was among the biggest small-cap losers. The Watertown, Mass., drugmaker lately tanked nearly some 29% at $2.84 on disappointing results from a late-phase clinical trial of Imagify, which is proposed to detect coronary artery disease. The trial failed to achieve one of its primary endpoints -- specificity -- despite achieving the other primary endpoints of accuracy and sensitivity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV